This year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) is about to be postponed indefinitely amid the COVID-19 pandemic after the country extended a lockdown on its 1.3 billion people until a minimum of May 3 on Tuesday.
The eight-team Twenty20 competition league, which was originally scheduled to start on March 29, was initially
deferred until Wednesday before India announced a three-week lockdown last month.
IPL governing council chairman Brijesh Patel didn’t take calls or reply to a Reuter’s message to discuss the possible dates of the tournament.
One of the franchise officials Reuters reached said they were waiting to listen to from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which met over a call on Tuesday.
BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had earlier acknowledged the problem in hosting the tournament amid
lockdown and therefore the travel restrictions forced by the worldwide health crisis.
Sourav Ganguly said about IPL “postponed indefinitely”
“At the present moment, we can’t say anything,” the former India captain told New India Express newspaper at the weekend.
“Airports are shut, people are stuck at home, offices are locked down, nobody can go anywhere. And it seems this is how it’s going to be till the middle of May.
“Where will you get players from, where do players travel. It’s just simple
common sense that at the moment, nothing is in favor of any kind of sport
anywhere in the world, forget IPL.”
Steve Smith, David Warner, Pat Cummins, and Glenn Maxwell were thanks to taking up multimillion-dollar contracts to play during this year’s IPL.